At the first club meeting of the semester we saw a lot of new faces and planned some great events for the rest of the semester! We already have a lot coming up, so if you couldn’t make it or didn’t write everything down, here’s what we discussed:
General club updates:
- We will hold meetings on Mondays at 8:30 from here on out. The next one will be on September 27th for a game night! This is just going to be a laid-back meeting to get to know each other better, so if you’ve been waiting to get involved this is a great time for it! This will be in Union Stateroom 2 (near the food court).
- Anyone is welcome to show up to club meetings/events but if you want to be an official member of the club you need to pay a $5 due and show up to at least one club activity. Having members allows our club to do more and get funding for conferences throughout the year.
- If you would like an Anthropology t-shirt from last year, we still have some for sale for $15!
- We now have a club wiki!! Anyone in the club can edit this page whenever they like. It will be a very useful site for us to interact more easily: http://ksuanthroclub.wetpaint.com/.
- On Wednesday, September 22nd we will be having a meet and greet event in Waters 201A. This will be an informal opportunity to get to know other Anthropology majors and professors and to welcome our new professor, Dr. Falcone, to K-State! A few students will be talking about their Anthro-related summer experiences as well. Aaaaand there will be food.
- We are planning a club camp-out on September 25th, but no details set yet.
- Finally, we are holding a book sale as a club fundraiser on September 30th and October 1st. We’ll have a table set up in Bosco Plaza from 8am-1pm both days and we need volunteers to take shifts! Go to the wiki to sign up for a shift.
- All of these events already are or will shortly be on our Facebook page, so check that out!
Conferences! These are a great opportunity to meet other Anthropologists, learn more about the fields you are interested in, or even present your own research. And they’re always a ton of fun to travel to. I will create Facebook events for each of these so that those who want to attend can get registered and make travel plans. Some are sooner than others, but here’s a heads up for all the ones coming up in this year:
- Plains Anthropological Conference – This will be October 6th-9th in Bismarck, North Dakota. This conference is focused on Archaeology, but there will also be presentations related to other Anthro fields. More information: http://www.ou.edu/cas/archsur/plainsanth/meeting/meeting.htm. You can also talk with Professor Ritterbush if this seems like something you’d be interested in!
- American Folklore Society (AFS) Annual Meeting – This will be October 13th-16th in Nashville, Tennessee. More information here (http://www.afsnet.org/annualmeet/index.cfm) or talk with Professor Kershner if you’re interested!
- American Anthropological Association (AAA) Annual Meeting – This conference is being held in New Orleans November 17th-21st. Some Anthro students are already planning to attend this conference on the 20th and 21st. If you would like to go, it would be a good idea register as a member on AAA’s website (http://www.aaanet.org/membership/join.cfm) so that you can get a reduced price for the conference. Here’s the conference page: http://www.aaanet.org/meetings/.
- Central States Anthropological Society (CSAS) Annual Meeting – This will be April 7th-9th in Iowa City, Iowa. This conference is usually pretty well attended by members of the club and will probably get funding. Here’s information on the conference: http://www.creighton.edu/groups/csas/annualmeeting/index.php. We’ll plan more for this later on!
Sorry this was so long! We look forward to getting to know more people throughout the semester and year! Please talk to/email any of the officers if you ever have questions/suggestions/whatever.