The Machine is Us/ing Us Final Version

Click here to download as a 3Mbps WMV file (55 MB)

Click here to download in Quicktime format (96 MB)

On January 31st I released the 2nd draft of The Machine is Us/ing Us hoping to receive feedback from my colleagues. (The first draft was only seen by my Digital Ethnography class 2 days before the 2nd draft was released on YouTube.) I sent it to 10 people. Four days later it was the most blogged about video in the blogosphere and the wild ride had begun. It has been fun and amazing for the most part – sometimes overwhelming – but always exciting. It is hard to believe that a little video I created in my basement in St. George Kansas could be seen by over 1.7 million people, be translated into (at least) 5 languages, and be shown to large audiences at major conferences on 6 continents within just one month of its creation. In some ways, the journey of the video speaks volumes that the content of the video could only hint at. I know I could not have done this with the technology available 3 years ago – certainly not 13 years ago – so the world really is different and I’m just happy to be part of the mass of people trying to rethink how we can best live in this quickly changing environment. To see more about my overall philosophy and goals for the video, you can read the interview I did with John Battelle.

Big thanks to all those who sent me comments or posted their comments on YouTube, in the blogosphere, or on Mojiti. If I did not address your comment in the new revision, there is a good chance that I have it in mind for a future project, but feel free to contact me and let me know your thoughts.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License. So you are welcome to download it, share it, even change it, just as long as you give me some credit and you don’t sell it or use it to sell anything. I received many more positive comments than negative about the song choice (great work Deus!), but if you are one of those who does not like the song just download the video and change the audio track to your liking.

Wesch

Associate professor of cultural anthropology. Ed Traceur. Hacker. Car-free.

You may also like...

116 Responses

1. Chris Lehmann says:

I first saw the machine is us yesterday, I find myself captivated by it. My emotional response is very strong, maybe it’s the music as well … I get a sense of the web providing (finally) the potential for all people to communicate and collaborate in a loving and peaceful way. I know it is just a tool and will be used by all different types for differing goals, but the overwhelming emotion I get from your movie is anticipation and eagerness for the full, creative potential of homo sapiens to blossom on Earth. Just wanted to let you know that.

2. Will you be updating the links on MediaFire (or elsewhere) to allow others to download the WMV or Quicktime movie files?

Congratulations on an impactful presentation.

3. Bertie says:

manufactured produce to those distant markets, where it can be exchanged for my space layouts disney villians regulation, twelve such pence are ordered to exchange for a shilling, they are in the market jevbuaumpp

4. Steph says:

Congrats, Prof Wesch, on an insightful, exhilarating and thought-provoking presentation!

My sentiments echo Chris’ comment: the impression of your message leaves me with an overwhelming optimistic view of social evolution. That is, based on the basic characteristics of Web 2.0, the Internet could potentially be THE catalyst for mass enlightenment!

As a web marketer, the temptation towards the dark side is fierce. The nature of business almost dictates less quality but my company stubbornly maintains their/our integrity. Your video validates our perseverance and inspires me to continue my part in our quest to make the Internet a good place to be – our contribution to changing the world for the better.

Thank you for your work here. Perhaps others have recognized the positivity of your message and acted on it in their own way.

5. Kelly A says:

Thanks for your excellent work, Professor Wesch.

I’m eager to download the higher-resolution versions of your video, but the MediaFire links you gave above seem to no longer work. Is there a new location for these videos, please?

6. IWRTq says:

Now I Get It, Finally Saw It, 110cc bike free pocket sale shipping, 110cc bike free pocket sale shipping, :-))),

7. Thanks for this. You was help me. Article who your writen was so important for me. Thanks again :) I am reading all articles in happily

8. Anna O says:

I am also intested in the high res. version of the video – can you please tell me where to go to download? Link is broken/video is removed from this location? Thanks! Anna O

9. Beth Granter says:

I would also like the high res versions – are these still available?

10. Anna Grzesica says:

I have seen the short video “A Vision of Students Today” created by Michael Wesch and I was amazed how perfectly just in less than 5 minutes he made such a big visual argument. This short message delivers more information than lasting many hours conference. It is talking, or even shouting, to its readers getting their attention with all its simplicity and power at once.
    I like the author uses mostly music and small text messages to talk to his audience. His videos are well considered and made with professionalism. Also, using students and class room in this video is a good choice. It makes me, a student watching the video, feel more comfortable and familiar with the subject. The music creates relaxing atmosphere and helps to consider what the movie is about.
    In addition, the video uses pathos, talking to its viewers hearts, as well as logos, presenting facts and statistics. I like the slides with numbers and amount of hours that student spend every day for particular activities. Using logic, the author shows how the student’s single day looks like. Students are busy today, getting short of time. However, the video suggests that technology, machine, and the Internet steal our time and make us be disorganized. We probably waste to much time just exploring the Internet for hours when we try to get a simply information or do homework that in fact would take us a couple of minutes.
    The argument seems to be very effective. It is one of must see videos. Not only students, but also their teachers and parents are receivers of this information. Questions that appear in the mind after viewing the message such as “What should we change? Where do we go? How our life will look like in a couple of months or years?” make the reader wonder weather the Internet is a good or bad thing. It has many advantages and also dark sides. Therefore, we need to stop and ask ourselves if we still have our freedom or it is taken away by a huge machine such as technology that is snatching up our priceless time.

11. Yulia says:

I am posting my response for the video “A vision of students today”. I think that this video reflects if not all, but most of the young people’s concerns.
    The video abounds with logos and ethos. Some of them reflects the situation in the world around us and makes us think that nothing is perfect. For example one of the students say that a lot of people in makes less than one dollar a day, and the other one says that his laptop costs more than some people make earn during one year. In fact, the presence of such kind of statements proves that a lot of young people do care about what is going in this world.
    In my opinion, there are statements in the video that can be considered as pathos. One of them is the statement made by one of the girls. It says: I did not create the problems. But they are my problems. Whatever she meant by this statement: relationships with her schoolmates or problems caused by those people that she has to deal with in everyday life, but I totally share her point of view. This is the phrase I feel like saying most of the time. My reason is that a lot of things that lots of people consider to be very important are not that important for me at this period of my life. But they keep on saying that I should be this and that, doing something different and being somewhere else. Every time I hear people saying that I feel like writing that girl’s statement on the piece of paper. Moreover, I would add: What is your problem?
    At first sight, all of the short statements written by students on the pieces of paper or even typed on the screen of laptops sound really simple. But, undoubtedly, exactly these short statements clearly express the thoughts of the participants of the video and helps the audience to understand what they are worried about. As we can see in the video, some of them are concerned with personal problems and some are worried about all those things which happen around them. But without any doubts all of them are worried about the future. So, basically, people who created the video did really great job. They made it simple and smart at the same time.

12. Digital Ethnography accomplished the sum of all there is in Web-anthropology in less than 5 minutes; its creator, Michael Welsch, is an assistant professor at Kansas State University, and has extensive study on the effects of the “digerati”, the digital generation, that was basically born on the web, and the consequences of the ever-expanding web 2.0. His argument on Digital Ethnography is that the easy access to share, create and comment on all online content is “teaching the machine” – but teaching what?
    The video includes various aspects of the discussion regarding the future of the Web 2.0, like authorship, privacy, interaction and integration; Its ideas are way past the digital barrier, aiming towards users that have their lives posted through digg.com, twitter, facebook, youtube, myspace and other social networking websites, about how malleable the Internet has become since users have much easier ways to add, modify and comment on any online content.
    The “camera” shows Welsch’s computer screen, as he pops screens from different websites, constantly re-writing and editing his text as he explores the limits of commonly assumed truths, like “text is uni linear” which he transforms into “paper text is uni linear”, to then “digital text can do better”; his argument of digital text becoming an entity that users will transform into whatever their needs are, no matter where.

13. Becky says:

The video I am posting my response on is “A Vision of Students Today” created by Michael Wesch and 200 of his students. Their intent was to make a video highlighting the important characteristics of students today. Students are studying in the same environment that has existed for years. But is what they are studying and how they are studying really relevant to today? With the advent of the Internet, is a large lecture hall which does not promote interaction between the students or between the professor and the students a relevant way to teach? Students are there physically but not mentally. There are distractions which are more important to them at the moment than the desire to take in what the teacher is lecturing on.
    The video uses music as a backdrop which creates the mood. Nothing is spoken which makes the message more compelling. By holding up signs rather than speaking, it keeps the viewer’s attention. This video uses logos because of the statistics they show. Most of the words in the video are percentages. Percentages of time, money, how much school work they do, how many of their teachers know their name, etc. This video also contains pathos because it makes you feel bad teachers don’t know their names, they have to work hard to pay for books they never used, how some people are in major debt just to get an education, etc.
    Marshall McLuhan said the medium is the message. “If the content is obliterated by the channel, “what” we say is of little importance-only “how” we choose to deliver it.” He said this in 1967, over 40 years ago. Today how we are delivering the message to students is even less relevant. Education needs to be revamped to make it worth the time and money spent by students providing them with a background that will be useful to them in the future. An education that will enable them to make use of the technology of today and apply it to solve the problems of the rest of the world particularly the third world where technology does not reign supreme.

14. McKenzie says:

I chose the video “A Vision of Students Today,” which was created by 200 students at Kansas State University. This video makes you ask the question to yourself how relevant is the material students are learning in today’s classes. There are many contributing factors that affect the way students learn. The students in the classroom all hold up written signs describing something in their life or how their learning is being affected. The main issue in this video is the interaction among others and mainly how the internet can help create better interaction among students.
    I love the format of this video; it really keeps your attention on the message they are trying to say by holding up written paper instead of just speaking. This video contains pathos because it makes you feel for the kids who are in debt just to pay for school, and those students whose teachers could care less about their names more or less their education etc. The music also catches my attention, it helps to create the serious mood of the video. There are many logos in this video because of all the fact based evidence they support through percentages, such as their time, money, teachers, etc. By showing statistics this helps the audience get a more clear depiction of the whole picture. This video shows ethos because of the credibility of the college, and the producer is also well known. So you can tell its not just a homemade video.
    The main message here is that the classroom needs to be more beneficial for these students. We need to be more interactive, either with each other or with the internet because that is proven to be when students learn more than just lecturing. This is a great video and needs to be broadcasted more to the world because it depicts an average college classroom, and its problems among the students.

15. Cameron says:

I chose the video “The internet has a Face”. It was created by

another college student Becky Roth in 2007. This video shows you

how the worlds technology has changed so much. It shows you how

you can jump right on your computer talk, meet, help, and put your life

out their for the world to see.

In this video it shows you how youtubers around the world are trying

to help people by giving a sick girl in the hospital hope. They go about

doing this by sending her personal videos talking to her everyday. Im

sure that this gives the little girl so much hope while she is lying on

her death bed. It fills the void for her inside and gives her a sense of

companionship which will help her to stay strong and fight her desiese.

Other youtubers in this video may be lonely and not have any friends.

When people jump on youtube and see people talking to them not for

what they look like but for their personality it could actaully save

people from lonelyness and depresion. I feel that youtube is an

awesome way for people to express themselves for who they really

are, by actaully being comfortable alone only talking to a camera. But

the reality is other people are doing the same thing. This brings many

strangers together with similar qaulities which creates life long bonds.

16. Alicia Hendry says:

I am posting to “A Vision of Students today.” 200 students at Kansas University were surveyed and came up with some interesting statistics about students in college. Professor Wesch uses his students in this video as part of his argument. He has the students give you the statistics, by holding up pieces of paper.
    Wesch uses ethos by creating this video and making it seem professionally done. It is a very well made video. He took time to plan things out and make it flow well.
    The students hold up pieces of paper with some of the things that were pulled from the survey that was done earlier. The pathos was used with most of what was shown, students that will be in debt when they graduate, and majority of teachers not knowing their students names, and average class sizes of 115. That gets to me because how can you expect to learn what you need to in a class that size, what if you have questions and need help, how can the teacher give enough attention to everyone that needs it without rushing them.
    The video was effective in its argument in that it shows that large college campuses loose the personal touch of their students. There are students in class that facebook through classes or work on something completely different. I enjoyed this video and makes me glad I am in a smaller college so I have that personal touch if I need help.

17. Ildus Mukhametov says:

I decided to analyze “A Vision of Students Today” by Michael Wesch. He created this video on October 12th 2007. The creator’s attitude to the video seems to be quite positive. No doubt, Wesch intends its effects to describe students’ life clearer.
    As a media he used video, words and sound. The choice of medium has a very strong effect on the message of the video. I am one hundred percent sure that the way the students showed different signs with words describing their lives would not be altered that effective if the same words were written on page of a book or a newspaper. It seemed to me that all those people were talking to me through sign they were showing in a turn. The role of words that accompany the video is just great. They clarify the message of the creator a lot, of course.
    The visual text assumes its viewers about understanding advantages and disadvantages of students’ lives and about what they know and agree with. The video created a great impression on me. I think the visual intended to evoke both positive and negative feelings about student and their assertions.
    As far as argumentative purpose of the video goes, it was designed to convey what students generally do and how they are affected by up-to-date technologies.
    The visual suggests a lot of cultural values, such as students’ lives and development of technologies. As viewers can see it questions them a lot as well and evokes a lot of emotions such as shame, pride and so on.
    The creator used ethos when he mentioned that he did not create the problems but they were his. He also used logos when he said that a billion made less than 1$ a day.
    In conclusion I would like to say that I enjoyed this video very much. I was encouraged to think about to think my own life as well.

18. Ekaterina says:

I am posting my response for the video “A Vision of Students Today”. This short video made in Kansas State University by Michael Wesch in collaboration with 200 students. His goal was to show how students spend their day, their problems and dreams, their thoughts and hopes.
    The video was taken in the regular classroom so it helps us to get into the student’s world. In the first minute of the video says that student’s life had been change from the years and “If these walls could talk”. At the same time there is no talking voice, just regular students sit at the classroom. They talk to us by words on peaces of paper or on the screen of their laptops. A music is relaxant and do not drop viewers from the idea of the short movie. Its all-together makes me feel a part of that students and I can feel the same worries and thoughts.
    Students talk honest and open about their problems. For example, most of students “buy one hundred textbook they never open.” They have to spent a lot of money for their education, but at the same time they not sure that they will need all these knowledge. Logos’ elements in the video are amounts and percentages of time, money, and hours they spend each day. Therefore, we can see that students in our days mostly use the Internet for entertainments and a little for school. At the same time most of homework they do with using computers. As pathos elements, there are some funny statements that some people “spend 2 hours on a cell phone”, some “spend 2 hours eating”, or somebody “will be 20000 dollars in debt after granulation” at the time when some people “make less than 1 dollar in the day”. Some messages make me smile, but some of them to think about students’ scares and worries in our days. They study for a future, because just after that they can find a better job, but at the same time they scary of it. Most of young people have to work and pay big bills for their education.
    Summary, I think it is a great video that shows how hard is to be a student. They have to do many things just in 24 hours. As addition, new technologies like the Internet, different types of video games, TV, and phones take most of their time. However, I enjoyed with the most interesting five minutes video.

19. Rima Latypova says:

The Machine is Us\ing Us
    Exposure the video of Michael Wesch “The Machine is Us\ing Us” were interesting and fascinating. After watching this kind of film automatically start thinking about the planet as a Union. All that information author give us to considered about were already known, but he wants to introduce it on the other side. There consists the main idea of globalization and World communication through the “Web”.
    Through all film author trying to find out how high technology are influence on people and they culture, what changes does they bring, and how Machine is using us. Also, he showing that Web is not only a text, which have many variations and structures, but videos, pictures, web programs and a lot of other things. The arguments what author gives become effective and interesting. Using simple language between all the high technology symbols give viewer the feeling of conversation with creator. Ethical appeals convince in his trustworthiness by enumeration of people who using Web every day, and this numbers are impressive. Logical persuading are the creating by author a new web pages and weblogs, which shows the connection between people all over the world. In the end of his film he became to the main point of people teaching the machine by creating the new web pages, words, and thoughts.
    In conclusion, watching this film arrive to the idea that the entire World connected by NetWeb, which is necessary and important for people today. Working with the Machines in a right way going to help out people, because we are the one who create and using them.

20. Derek Coleman says:

Derek Coleman

English 112 HYA

I chose the video “Information Revolution” by Michael Wesch. It was one of those eye opening subjects that makes you marvel at the

advances in technology we’ve made over the past few years. Wesch begins by defining what information is as it pertains to the physical

constraints placed on it by the technology available before the internet. He then goes on to show how the invention of the world wide web

revolutionized information sharing, storing, and creating, and even redefined the word information and what it is.

Michael Wesch used the method of logos towards the end of the video to help add emphasis on just how much of a difference the internet has

made. He brings out that since the advent of the internet, we have added five trillion keywords to search for on a given internet search engine.

Also saying that we have added fifteen times more information to the internet than the largest encyclopedia. Through search engines and the use

of sites such as Wikipedia, shelves, filing cabinets, and now seemingly archaic methods of storing information have become obsolete. This new

age of digital media has provided us with more information than we could possibly process in our entire lifetime.

I enjoyed Mr. Wesch’s presentation and thought that it was very cleverly laid out. I also appreciate how lucky we are to live in this “information age”

that doesn’t have to rely on material copy’s of information that can be destroyed and lost forever. This video played on that sense of “back in my

day” and really made me think how would I function if I didn’t have the internet to do most of my research and daily functions. I’m not sure I enjoyed

realizing how much I myself, and really all of us rely on the internet.

21. gianni says:

I tried downloading both versions of the cleaned up high res version of your excellent video which I used extensively in the YouTube format in many many presentations across Europe, but unfortunately the links are broken (or at least they are for me).

Any pointers to another download location?

22. gianni says:

Really sorry, should have searched better. Here is the working link for all those dumb like me: http://www.mediafire.com/?axhbjnmw4yn

23. Peter Rinearson says:

The links in the blogpost, intended to allow the downloading of this brilliant video, no longer work.

24. In mass societies the individuals felt that his personality was lost, in the United States of America some phenomena become around on television (American Idol) through which they sought their identity and recognition. Web 2.0 tools revolutionize the network and education.

The introduction of these tools in education enables us to infer that the information shall be controlled by the community, while the latter (as opposed to traditional educational systems) occurs in a bilateral and collaborative way.

Content creation for the networks not to the masses and allow the individual trajectories are transformed into collective journeys.

Carried out a philosophical analysis of this phenomenon of Web 2.0 shows that:

- Individuals are known to themselves through their relationships with others;

- Web Tools 2.0. Shall enable new forms of relationships between individuals;

- Individuals are left with new tools to get to know themselves.

Individuals, like what was happening on the television show (American Idol) seek the recognition of others, but also the knowledge of his “I”, deep at the bottom of your identity.

Lisbon, May 26, 2010

Grupo 2

25. Joaquim Pinto - Groupe 2 says:

Carried out a philosophical analysis of this phenomenon of Web 2.0 shows that:

- Individuals are known to themselves through their relationships with others;

- Web Tools 2.0. Shall enable new forms of relationships between individuals;

- Individuals are left with new tools to get to know themselves.

Lisbon, May 26, 2010

Groupe 2

26. Telma says:

Dear Professor Michael Wesch,

As I said before, we are a group of students taking an online Master Course on E-Learning Pedagogy at Universidade Aberta, in Portugal. The teacher of Education and Society on the Web assigned us the following task: analyze and publish a post with a comment on your video.
    We found your presentation very appealing and also full of pertinent content.
    So here are our analyses as well as our post:

We think that your idea of globalization and world communication through the Web is a very captive one. You seem to be searching for answers to some crucial questions like: how much technology influences people and their culture, what new changes it brings, how all the data available in the Internet can be organized and structured and first of all how the Machine is using us.
    It’s amazing, the way you cover so much in just 4.32 minutes. Your approach, which starts with the presentation of some handwritten sentences, in opposition to the mobility and flexibility of digital text, is innovative because it clearly shows the contrast between the two kinds of text.
    You demonstrated that with the hypertext it is easier not only to write online, send and share photos, but also to build videos and podcasts. The variety of tools to host and share these data are linked in order to provide a global exchange (mash-up). You show that all the information is organized by the network (i.e. by “us”). The Web 2.0 really started connecting people in every conceivable way.
    It is curious that your work was originally intended for a scholarly article that explores the concept and operation of new web tools faced with the difficulty in explaining new concepts, and you decided to, sensibly and consistently to act in accordance with the contents: use Web tools to speak of new Web tools.
    The machine, which promotes the exaggerated use of the Internet, is a reflection of our creation that inevitably leaves marks on our way of being, acting, thinking and being in society. Mindful of this, it is important to call attention for the need of rethink what is changing and what are the implications for questions like: copyright, identity, aesthetics, rhetoric, privacy, trade… ourselves and everything that surrounds us as active, thinking beings.
    As you said, now it is the time to rethink everything, including ourselves. People are so amazed by this technology. This is significant of the relentless pursuit of the human being searching for new technology to facilitate their existence.

Thank you again for having published your work and for giving us the chance to comment on it.

Marina, Paula and Telma.

27. Manuel Pimentel says:

Dear Professor Michael Wesch,
    We are a group of students of the Master of Elearning Pedagogy, at the Universidade Aberta, in Portugal, and we had the opportunity to watch the video ” The Machine is Us /ing Us ” when we studied the changes caused in education by the new network society.
    The video “The Machine is Us /ing Us” makes us think on the changes that have taken place in our way of thinking and therefore in our way of communicating in presence of the generalization of online communication. Man built the machine to meet this need to communicate in different ways, with as many people as possible and to an infinite number of places, but the machine got life of its own and began to shape us. One thing is certain: nowadays we don’t communicate as we did years ago.
    For the previous generation, the transition to this new reality can be difficult, as if they had to give up something that has always had a recognized value; for the new generation this is the ideal thing, but sometimes they devalue not only the previous forms of knowledge transmission, as the existing knowledge itself.
    The main issue is to know what knowledge is and how it is transmitted. Knowledge only exists as a set of information that every human being acquired and to whom it makes sense. To acquire this information, until the digital era, paper books and the traditional media were used, but all these means are only channels of information and not knowledge itself. The Internet is nowadays the ideal channel of communicating information.
    Therefore, the ideas presented in this video are very useful for us, as teachers and as students of Elearning Pedagogy.
    Best regards,
    Ana Marmeleira
    Emanuel Teixeira
    Isabel Manteigas
    Manuel Pimentel

28. Hello, Mike Wesch Teachers, we are a working group of the Master in Pedagogy of E-learning at the Open University – Portugal.
    For unity “Network Society” and through our teacher Antonio Teixeira, we learned of its existence and its excellent work around the Web influence on education and culture worldwide.
    After viewing some of your videos and website, where we put some comments, the result of teamwork, we find its concern to show the world the impacts included in the network society.
    Through videos simple, but highly significant, can show us the changes that occur in this mediated world, making us change social processes breaking the cultural past.
    We realized easily, from the message you want to address. Sure that their students, take delight in having a teacher with this dynamic entrepreneur.
    Sure that we will follow this path that we decided to go.
    We wish you continued excellent work she does.

Yours sincerely

—————————————————————–

Carried out a philosophical analysis of this phenomenon of Web 2.0 shows that:
    - Individuals are known to themselves through their relationships with others;
    - Web Tools 2.0. Shall enable new forms of relationships between individuals;
    - Individuals are left with new tools to get to know themselves.

Lisbon, May 26, 2010

Ana Torres
    Carla Eliás
    Joaquim Pinto
    Nuno Miguel Oliveira
    Tercília Assis

29. Just right points?I’d note that as anyone who really doesn’t write on blogs much (if truth be told, this may be my first publish), I don’t suppose the time period ‘lurker’ may be very turning into to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault in the least , but perhaps the blogosphere may just come up with a better, non-creepy name for the ninety% folks that experience studying the content .

30. Hello Professor Mike Wesch,

My name is Hugo Medeiros. I am a student of Masters in Elearning Pedagogy of the Open University in Portugal and, after analyzing the contents of some of your videos, as the result of course work in Education and Society Network, I considered important to share some of my conclusions.

In this Video, Professor Mike takes us into a journey (and what a journey – eye opener) … to the Web, to its possibilities; you challenge us to think and observe that the Web is a vast and multicultural repository that learns and interacts with us thought multiple connections that raises the Web almost to a status of a “living organism” that learns and evolves with our inputs and connections and reacts to us, producing outputs.
    It raises the issue of interconnectibility, variety, multicultural backgrounds and the authenticity and identity on this big “machine” (the WWW – and the fact that we construct it and at the same time build upon it) its non linear characteristics – that allow us to connect, explore, learn, interact with millions of people, and more important with the Web (as a Repository – this fact alone take us to multiple perspectives and approaches that transform our lives in so many different levels).
    We should look to this “organism” as a tool, with several degrees of importance – giving importance to the content VS form, because the interoperability is the key touch, the multiplicity of feeds, connections and platforms give us a “world” of possibilities to connect the world and elevate the learning process (and a multitude of different components of our lifes).
    On the web we are producers and at the same time consumers,” sharing, trading and collaborating”, the education, the abilities, the connections are all there, and we really need to redefine us to take part of the “revolution” and make it work for us.

31. Rita Albuquerque says:

Hi, Prof. Wesch,
    The separation of form and content allowed by the Web 2.0 tools available to us also separate what the machines do well from what people does well. They allow us to concentrate in the creation of our views of things, leaving the hard parts for the code that surrounds us. Creating is an activity that messes up with us, and changes our views. It takes courage to handle, because we can never go back to the lazy world we had/lived in beforehand. It remembers us of Ken Robinson mantra about creativity, on steroids, as is it not confined to children’s education, but allows an opportunity for each one of us, regardless of age and all the other (artificial) limits we self-impose ourselves. So, in retrospective, it is the old macbethian question that is here again.
    Other question that begs to be asked is about the future: will it be rosy under such a “spell”? Or, alternatively: can one be happy living in the “cloud”?
    We are quite sure there will be some proposed answers from your side of the debate, but, more importantly, there will be also some from our side. That’s what we think your presentation is about.
    Thank you.
    Manuel J. Matos (Portugal) and Rita Albuquerque (Brasil)
    (Students from the Masters’ in e-Learning Pedagogy from Portuguese Open University)

32. Miguel Lima (equipa Capa) says:

Dear Professor Michael Wesch,
    We are a group of students taking an online Master Course on E-Learning Pedagogy at Universidade Aberta, in Portugal. The teacher of Education and Society on the Web assigned us the following task: analyze and publish a post with a comment on your video.

The separation between form and content giant opens a wealth of possibilities. With this separation, people (anyone) can post information in cyberspace, such as blogs and wikis. Cyberspace is (almost) open to ordinary mortals, and there isn`t a need to have great programming skills.

Cyberspace, in general, opened the possibility to connect the information, but this possibility led to changes much more profound and perhaps unexpected. In fact, Web 2.0 is linking people. It is clear that the emergence of Web 2.0 is something that goes far beyond mere technology field, providing a broad and global phenomenon spanning all areas of society, economy, culture, through media and education. Consumers of content and information, users have also become producers of information. People are sharing, exchange and collaborate. They / We are rewriting a set of things. Everything must be thought in another way: copyright, identity, ethnicity, government, privacy, commerce, love, family, ourselves.

In short, the video focuses on the profound implications of access and widespread use of the Web, specifically the so-called Web 2.0. Because changes in technology have an effect on various dimensions of human life.

Alice, Filomena, Gonçalo and Miguel

33. Paulo Ferreira - Equipa Omega says:

Hi, Prof. Wesch.
    We’re posting a comment to your interesting video that was written in a group work by the students that are attending the Masters in Elearning Pedagogy of Open University in Portugal (www.univ-ab.pt).
    The loss of identity or not, the acceptance that we are part of a group of which we are also one piece, which may have a more active participation. The idea that our space is also shared by others and that makes us realize that individuals are changing.
    The video still gives us some clues as to what technology can do for us, but at the same time transforms us and opens up new forms of “dialogue” and learning. The facets of Web 2.0 with regard to its social dimension.

34. Filomena Barbosa says:

Professor Wesch,

Your video has shown that thanks to the evolution of new technologies and especially to the Web 2.0, we can enhance a wide range of new possibilities of communication, since we have the opportunity to interact and broaden collaboration, to share information as well as knowledge, within an unlimited process.
    Everybody creates a new Web application through the twitter, the flickr, the blogs, the wikis, tag content, and videos. Everybody can produce, share and organize information. New ways of interacting emerge rapidly. The one way communication of media is being overcome by many to many ways of communication, allowing people to be connected and exchanging personal, social and cultural information.

Filomena Barbosa, Hugo Domingos and Sérgio Lagoa.
    Students of a Master degree in E-Learning Pedagogy, in Universidade Aberta, Portugal.

35. Although it is important the way it is presented, the 2.0 web and the associated technologies changed the way of communication and the sharing of information, highlighting its content. Nowadays information is much richer but it also happens at an unthinkable speed, allowing the exchange of knowledge and a real connection between the inhabitants of the planet, making us all, as professor Welsch states, rethink and reconsider the relationships among people and even ourselves. And therefore education must also be reconsidered, focusing on its social role, as the ideas spread by the technologies are the basis of the change in our culture.

Carla Cardoso and Rui Páscoa, master’s degree students in E-Learning Pedagogy, Universidade Aberta, Portugal

36. Manuel Lousa - Sigma team says:

Dear Professor Michael Wesch,

We found your video “The Machine is Us /ing” very challenging and also full of meaningful content.
    There is no doubt that Technology has changed our lives and the way we are. Sites, social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, YouTube, among others brought new concepts and cultural changes. In the past, people used to know each other face to face. Nowadays, people still connect but this time through the machine. So, we can say that people’s behavior has changed through times. Besides that, the new media created new ways of context, new ways of relating to others, new ways of knowing ourselves. These mediums shape not only conversations but also messages people are having or sending through them. In addition to this, the identity and the recognition are being also shaped. As a consequence, we can say that younger generations are addicted to the machine to the point that the person and the machine, they are only ONE.
    In our viewpoint, nowadays people, especially younger generations still connect and communicate but using a different form of language and using the machine. So, we totally agree with the idea that “the machine is Us and that it is changing us”, even if we don’t notice it.

Best regards,
    Manuel Lousa
    Nathalie Ferret
    Pedro Vargas

37. Laura Ramos says:

Professor Wesch,
    I got the chance to watch your video because it is part of the syllabus of the Masters degree I’m taking. It really has become an open educational resource, though it wasn’t created with that intent.

I guess that’s one of the issues your video talks about, the technological ability to reuse content in different virtual environments (it was embedded in our Moodle forum by our teacher). And because of it I’m establishing a connection with you, starting a conversation on a common interest of ours.

Simultaneously, I’m leaving a trail of digital footprints that can (and probably is) give information to the Machine about me. It will be able to learn from that and reciprocate (for better or worse) by presenting me related information I might be interested in. At the same time that I’m creating my own web, the web is manifesting itself to me and can influence me on the choices I make (for example, does anyone get past the first page of results on Google?). So who is using who?

Where do we end and the Machine starts (and vice versa)? Maybe the “collective intelligence” that Manuel Castells talks about can’t be conceived by separating Man and Machine, as we are involved in a vicious circle with it. And that leads us, as you say, to rethink notions we thought were relatively stable.

Laura Ramos
    Master’s student on E-learning Pedagogy, Universidade Aberta – Portugal

38. Rute Antunes & Ricardo Carvalho (Omega team) says:

Text and words were always a mighty weapon. But that power was maximized by the power of digital technology. The idea shown at the beginning of the video, where the pencil can just write words to be read afterwards, as a contrast with the final idea of a text of lines of a programming code which is capable to perform lots of complex and diverse tasks.
    Today more than ever it is normal and natural students, people already born with the technology that makes increasingly this is their natural environment, their way of being in life, so the machine that is increasingly most current and complete and makes the world you are one click away from where we can explore, organize, reorganize, study, research, work, everything in the virtual environment, the network web 2.0 call it what you like, machine, machine, PC, virtual world, etc., what is right and that said machine is here to stay and changes us, molds us and are shaped as it is necessary to do an “upgrade” of anything new that appears on the network. The machine complements us and maybe complete us, perfect us, try to fix that, sometimes we do not correct or let go blank.

39. Carolina V Caldeira says:

Professor,

The video question at the outset an “ahhh” flabbergasted. “Fascinating” is the first thought that comes to your viewing.

It is important to visualize the evolution that is described, but also said “machine” works. For often have no idea what happens when you publish web content and how they interact.
    But what is at the end is the reflection suggested “all this means that we have to rethink: copyright, authorship, identity, ethics, aesthetics, rhetoric, governance, privacy, commerce, love, family and ourselves.”

All these new tools and facilities lead to a global change of behaviors, values??, expression that goes beyond any prediction. A video can have an impact releasing someone who likes to sing in your room booked (http://internetparatodos.blogs.sapo.pt/158609.html # _) as bring an entire country to get involved in a great debate after a person leave a last message before killing himself by being a victim of cyber bullying (http://pplware.sapo.pt/informacao/menina-de-15-anos-suicida-se-por-sofrer-de-cyberbullying/).

These new forms of media have a big impact and yes this reflection presented by the author in our opinion is urgent, because evolution is so fast that sometimes seems to be no rules. With each passing day there are new situations, new ways to communicate, new shocks.

We consider this video for all of this very important and a great motto for us to reflect on our own actions online.

Best Regards,

Carolina Caldeira, Inês Araújo e Elisabete Santos (Capa Team – Mpel – Uab-Pt)

40. Hi Professor Wesch,
    Nice video.
    This video leads us to the concept of web semantics because of the idea that the machine learns with us. Each page we visit, each uploading or downloading we do, provides data on our likes that the “machine” turns into knowledge and “saves” for future interactions. This video highlights the role of web 2.0 in building knowledge and relationship networks and the need to change the patterns of society due to the evolution of technology and the possibilities it offers. With the rise of Web 2.there was a huge transformation in cyberspace: instead of using only the technologies in a passive way to create “closed” documents, there is a total openness to what can be called new users / builders of content, enabling to share very good information. This is related with the idea that we are not using the network to produce information anymore, but it is the network that uses us to share everything we produce. Of course there must be a great sense responsibility, but also transparency, because even if the first step the information is not so correct it has been increasingly refined, particularly through new users. Thus, each user must know how to manage all the information one finds and verify the authors to get a sense of the credibility of the assembled information.
    Adelaide Dias

42. Hi Professor Wesch,
    Nice video.

Adelaide Dias
    Alberto Cardoso
    Cristina Neto
    Master’s students on E-learning Pedagogy, Universidade Aberta – Portugal

43. The world has changed, but educations mostly seems to have forgotten that, living a life of its own. The same materials, methods, the same paradigm of earlier centuries is still the one used in most of the classrooms everywhere, with such fiercely stubbornness that it is driving schools further away from the direction of society than ever. Young people who were born immersed in the new networked model of society, of information everywhere, mediated by technological tools, are truly amazed how different life is inside and outside schools and classrooms, and how anacronic they are. Young people don’t see teachers and schools as masters of knowledge, since they are familiar with lots of places where that same knowledge can be accessed, and don’t feel comfortable not being able to use their own knowledge of every day life in school, because those realities are getting so far apart one from another. They (and their parents) don’t understand why do they have to buy expensive textbooks if the same information is available for free on the internet, and are increasingly unhappy with a system they deem boring and uninteresting. What is the role of schools in an era where they are not the sole possessors of knowledge and information? Are they going to continue ignoring the challenges of the new society and drift to become ivory towers or, instead, adapt and become part of the global network of knowledge?

44. Mara Lúcia Cristian, João Pedro Bourbon, João Henriques says:

Professor Wesch,

This video shows us that the internet is no longer a repository of information and distant are the days when computers were little more than a typewriter more sophisticated. With the evolution of technology, with the increase of people connected to the network and with the emergence of Web 2.0, the way people communicate and interact in the network, completely changed. It is unclear how will be, in future, the forms of communication. But one fact we can take for granted, nothing will be, like before, again. I think you, Professor Wesch, through this video, want to call our attention to the fact that we need to rethink the way we communicate and interact with each other. It’s happening a revolution, we need to be aware of this reality and, always, have an open mind to evolve at the same speed.

Best regards

Mara Lúcia Cristian
    João Pedro Bourbon
    João Henriques

Master’s students on E-learning Pedagogy, Universidade Aberta – Portugal

45. In the beginning there was the word, and that allowed for humans to communicate their thoughts orally. The invention of the writing brought an entirely new paradigm, since now the information could be preserved and stored, and it was easier to transmit and build upon past knowledge. The evolution of societies accelerated as a result of that, although the preservation of writing was always problematic due to the variety and durability of the materials used. Even in the last century the main storing of information was made in paper and microfilm. However, with the advent of the Internet the written word suffered a fundamental change: the paradigm of the World Wide Web was created and grounded on the hyperlink, a text or image that linked a given site to another, no matter where in the world it was stored. That was a change of paradigm because, from then on, the text was more than a text, it was hypertext, rich text, dynamic text. The experience of reading and writing changed completely, the text became part of a network, not an isolated island in the world. Recently another change came: the evolution of web technologies from static HTML to dynamic technologies, the so-called Web 2.0, allowed for an easier creation of content by everyone. Blogs, social networks and such were made possible, and thus the Internet grows in content at every minute. We are all part of the network, of the machinery; we are feeding it continuously with increasing amounts of data, information, and knowledge. More and more of our lives is dedicated to it. A

João Henriques
    João Pedro Bourbon
    Mara Lúcia Cristan

46. I am going to learn about this all day!! Hopefully you have an RSS feed I can subscribe to.
    I’ve been searching everywhere over the site with regard to content connected with nook ereaders.

47. I am going to learn about this all day!! With luck , you have
    an RSS feed I could possibly subscribe to.
    I had been really seeking all around the net concerning
    information associated with ellen degeneres show tickets
    december.

48. Helpful publications and style of publishing.
    It looks like I’ll come back on this website later on , and see what else you have got in store :-) !!! Now i’m planning to see if my hubby and I may find nearly anything in respect to
    fitness monitors!!

49. Howdy! I know this is kinda offf topic however , I’d figured I’d
    ask. Would you be interested in trading links orr maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?

My blog goes over a lot of the same subjects as yours and I believ we
    could greatly benefit from each other. If you are interested
    feel free to shoot mme an email. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Grrat blog by thhe way!

1. March 10, 2007

digital ethnography…

The ethnographer’s job is to immerse himself in the culture being studied and participate in order to get a better understanding of their ways of life. By this definition Prof. Wesch has accomplished a rather unique milestone by summarizing the …

2. March 12, 2007

[...] Read his explanation in Digital Ethnography. [...]

3. March 13, 2007

[...] The final version of Web 2.0… The Machine is Using Us has been posted by Michael Wesch.  It is worth watching at least twice, and note his intentions in posting the draft vs. what actually happened.  It helps to prove his point, I think. [...]

4. March 15, 2007

[...] Digital Ethnography has completed their project and has released the final edit of The Machine is Us/ing Us. [...]

5. March 21, 2007

[...] Con un tecleado feroz este cortometraje define de manera fabulosa los retos que nos plantea Internet. El autor es Michael Wesch y sus conclusiones son precisas y luminosas: El texto digital ya no solo sirve para enlazar información. El hipertexto tampoco. La Web es para conectar la gente. La Web 2.0 enlaza la gente. Gente compartiendo, intercambiando y colaborando. [...]

6. March 23, 2007

[...] Michael Wesch, the professor who created it, says this about the final version: This new version is not a major revision. It is just cleaned up a bit – fixed a few typos and cleaned up some transitions. I’m reserving some of the new ideas that have come to me in the past month for future video projects. I considered releasing this as an “eternal beta” in true Web 2.0 style, but decided to let it stand as is and start working on future projects. Many of my future videos will address the last 30 seconds of this video (the “rethink …” part). [...]

7. March 26, 2007

[...] The Machine is Us/ing Us está a punto de cumplir dos meses de vida digital y ya tiene cerca de dos millones de visitas en YouTube (abajo se muestra la segunda versión). Su autor, Michael Wesch, preparó el vídeo para su clase de antropología. Colocarlo en la Red hizo lo demás: hoy está traducido a cinco idiomas y se ha “incrustado” en cientos de blogs alrededor del mundo. Wesch explica el proceso de producción en esta entrevista. [...]

8. March 26, 2007

[...] Un video de Michael Wesch, profesor de antropología en la Kansas State University. Reflexiona sobre la web 2.0. Y merece la pena cada segundo. [...]

9. March 26, 2007

[...] It is available several places including YouTube and the class website (http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/?p=84) and licensed under Creative Commons and of course I have it here. But take some time and visit his website as well, Dr. Wesch has some really interesting projects posted. Looks like an amazing class, I would love to take it.  The Machine is Us/ing Us Final Version: Play Now | Play in Popup | Download [...]

10. March 29, 2007

[...] I’m sure everyone and their dog has seen this. It’s still worth posting because it’s thought-provoking, well-done, put together by a professor who’s teaching methods inspire my own, and because it’s about technology. And it’s cool! Here’s the link to learn more about the Web 2.0/The Machine is Using Us video. [...]

11. April 1, 2007

[...] Questo video (leggi qui la storia) , oltre ad essere stato visto da circa 1,7 milioni di persone, ha innescato un circolo virtuoso di altri video di risposta che ne hanno arricchito il contenuto con spunti e riflessioni molto interessanti facendolo divenire un esempio palese di come il web abbia ormai contagiato in maniera irreversibile le persone di tutto il mondo. [...]

12. April 2, 2007

[...] The Machine is Us/ing Us Final Version [...]

13. April 2, 2007

[...] On a more recent post The Machine is Us/ing Us Final Version (8 March) Wesch describes the timeline of the film’s rise to fame: On January 31st I released the 2nd draft of The Machine is Us/ing Us hoping to receive feedback from my colleagues. (The first draft was only seen by my Digital Ethnography class 2 days before the 2nd draft was released on YouTube.) I sent it to 10 people. Four days later it was the most blogged about video in the blogosphere and the wild ride had begun… It is hard to believe that a little video I created in my basement in St. George Kansas could be seen by over 1.7 million people, be translated into (at least) 5 languages, and be shown to large audiences at major conferences on 6 continents within just one month of its creation. [...]

14. April 7, 2007

The Brave New Web and the Need for Skepticism…

There is a tendency in some parts of the “Web 2.0″ community to think of the web as something entirely new, something amazing that is transforming the world. A great example of this is a very popular video called The Machine is Us/ing Us, c…

15. April 7, 2007

[...] The Machine is Us/ing Us Final Version [...]

16. April 10, 2007

[...] I was enamored by this video called The Machine is Us/ing Us by Michael Wesch of Kansas State University.  Check it out: http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/?p=84 [...]

17. April 21, 2007

[...] These are really easy since both the Youtube and the Google Video pop-up windows show you examples of what they want you to paste in to them. In the image on the left, I highlighted the code for the very interesting web2.o video seen below. This video is called The Machine is Us/ing Us by Professor Wesch of Digital Ethnography at Kansas State University. [...]

18. May 1, 2007

[...] Selv skriver han om udbredelsen af videoen: “It is hard to believe that a little video I created in my basement in St. George Kansas could be seen by over 1.7 million people, be translated into (at least) 5 languages, and be shown to large audiences at major conferences on 6 continents within just one month of its creation.” (Digital Ethnography, 8. marts 2007). Det var i starten af marts – siden da er videoen blevet set af knap 2,3 millioner mennesker… Web 2.0 er svær at stoppe. Tænk bare på de strippende gymnasieelever i Silkeborg (se evt. TV2 Nyheder mandag d. 30 april kl. 22 her) … [...]

19. May 1, 2007

[...] Techlife’s recent article about Digital Ethnography based on the video “Web 2.0 – The Machine is Us/ing Us” by Professor Michael Wesch has really blossomed garnering over 1.2 million views since our last article in February 2007, to total 2.2 million views and counting. The topic of information and the processing of it, certainly has become of interest to the readers of this column. [...]

20. May 19, 2007

[...] A great video clip made by an assistant professor of cultural anthropology, professor Wesch. It was posted more than a month ago and has accumulated more than 1,7 million views at youtube + another interesting video response. However, it’s the Wesch video that picks up where I left of. [...]

21. May 23, 2007

[...] Ekipa sa kanzaškog univerziteta je napravila sjajan video, koji pokazuje suštinu prelaženja na `net — ili ono što neki nazivaju Web 2.0. (jedan savet: ako vam je kvalitet na youtube-u slab, a originalna verzija se sporo skida sa zvaničnog linka, google sa lakoćom nalazi brže mirrore) [...]

22. May 30, 2007

[...] DE digtal ethnograpy blog http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/ Download links http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/?p=84 [...]

23. May 30, 2007

[...] At its Imaging and Printing Conference in New York City this week, HP is detailing “Print 2.0″: a broad business strategy based in part on the assumption that the Web will generate sharply increasing amounts of printed output. Some of the inspiration for Print 2.0 comes from an enormously popular YouTube video called “Web 2.0…The Machine is Us/ing Us,” which HP screened for an audience of analysts and journalists on Wednesday. The video was created by Michael Wesch, assistant professor of cultural anthropology at Kansas State University. Since Prof. Wesch first posted it at YouTube on January 31 of this year, “Web 2.0…The Machine is Us/ing Us” has been seen by more that 1.7 million people, translated into five languages, and presented at major media conferences around the world. It is also available as a download at Kansas State University’s “Digital Ethnography” blog. [...]

24. June 12, 2007

[...] I have been meaning to write about this since I attended the Web 2.0 Expo in San Francisco this past April. Before the keynote speeches at this event, the roomful of attendees were treated to a presentation of a very unique video presentation entitled “The Machine is Us/ing Us“. [...]

25. June 16, 2007

[...] **  Digital Ethnography, by students at Kansas State and their professor, the ones who explained Web 2.0 [...]

26. June 17, 2007

[...] La presentazione di Alex Giordano e Mirko Pallera, – davvero buffi a vedersi insieme, Alex dall’aria pacioccona, Mirko un po’ dandy trendy – fondatori di Ninja marketing parte subito con un video sul web 2.0 uno dei più visti su youtube e di cui, eserdisce Alex, in questi 2 giorni di convegno ancora nessuno aveva citato o mostrato. Il video si intitola : The machine is using us ed è stato realizzato dal Proff. Micke Wesh, della Kansas State University che sta facendo una serie di ricerche sulla etnografia digitale etc. [...]

27. June 19, 2007

[...] Ça me permet aussi de découvrir une petite vidéo sur le thème de “Web 2.0″, intitulée The Machine is Us/ing Us. Pour la plupart d’entre vous, c’est probablement du réchauffé, mais le montage est très malin.  [...]

28. June 28, 2007

[...] Innym razem natkn±³em siê w sieci na film “The Machine is Us/ing Us” grupy Digital Ethnography dzia³aj±cej w ramach grupy prowadzonej przez Dr. Michael Wesch. Kilkuminutowa prezentacja rozwoju “komunikacji” zaprezentowanej w “The Machine is Us/ing Us” da³a mi bardzo du¿o do my¶lenia. Zapraszam wszystkich do obejrzenia. Explore posts in the same categories: Ciekawostki [...]

29. July 2, 2007

[...] Michael is better known for the Web 2.0 video, which has been seen by over two million people and translated in several languages in a month or so. You can find a polished high resolution version here, in a couple of well known multimedia formats. [...]

30. July 4, 2007

[...] Digno de ver. Hosted en YouTube. Discutido también en el website de Prof Wesch @ Kansas State University. Tags:Aplicaciones, Colaboración, Computer Science, Desarrollo Tecnológico, Hipermedia, Hipertexto, Hypermedia, Hypertext, Internet, Servicios, Software, Tecnología, Transparencia, Web 2.0 [...]

31. July 16, 2007

[...] De hecho la definición de la Wikipedia es bastante acotada “metodología de investigación de los métodos cualitativos de la antropología cultural”; pero hay otras definiciones o papers como el de la Universidad de Pennsylvania o blogs como el de Michael Wesch que investigan la existencia de la etnografía digital y que, en realidad, es más conocido por su video The Machine is Us/ing Us (uno de varios) [...]

32. August 2, 2007

[...] Excellent 5-minute video basically explaining the current “Web-two-oh” state of the net. Apparently it was doing the rounds a couple of months ago, but it totally passed me by, so if you haven’t seen it already you’re in for a treat! It’s both funny and educational; bargain! [...]

33. August 22, 2007

[...] myedna will will be firmly embedded in the growing world of Web 2.0 – that nebulous collection of tools that allow users to contribute on the web. A remarkably popular tour of Web 2.0 is found in The Machine is Us/ing Us, a video on YouTube that has had nearly 4 million views since January 07. The author is Professor Wesch of Kansas State University. The 4.5 minute video tells the story of how the web is developing in a highly graphic way. It delivers the message most effectively because the pace and movement in the video represents how the active user is at the heart of web 2.0 developments. The machine is us pun in the title neatly sums it up. [...]

34. September 10, 2007

[...] Take a few minutes and re-watch (or watch for the first time, if you haven’t seen it yet) The Machine is Us/ing Us.  Watch for the reference to copyright near the end.  Understand that we do need to rethink what it means, and how we will use it.  And then talk about it.  Ask questions.  Understand that even the really smart copyright lawyers don’t know where all of this will go, or where it should go.  Understand that we need to work on this as a group, a very large group.   [...]

35. October 11, 2007

[...] Conversations in the blogosphere can seem messy and disorganized at times compared to a threaded discussion in a learning management system or other online conversation tool, but “tags” help the ideas and information take on an organic organizational structure. For more insight into how this works, check out Dr. Michael Wesch’s excellent video “The Web is Using/Us.” [...]

36. October 11, 2007

[...] Since we only have 30 minutes and no internet connection, it’s better to keep it at the conversation level. It will be a good time to introduce ourselves, and just talk. However, I was thinking of showing one video as a point for conversation. Which one? Do I show Karl Fisch’s Did You Know? or Darren Draper’s Pay Attention. How about Cisco’s Human Network or Wesch’s The Machine is US. I was even thinking about showing the Encyclopedia of Life video. I might even show a portion of the recent K12 Online PreConference Presentation by David Warlick. [...]

37. October 13, 2007

[...] One of the ‘further viewing’ resources I sometimes provide to people to come to talk to me about SMART or about using technology in their teaching is the excellent the machine is us/ing us created by Michael Wesch at Kansas State University. This morning flicking through Google Reader, Tama has linked to a new video entitled ‘a vision of students today’. Even though it’s targetted at HE, there’s a few important messages here, not just in some of the shocking stats that the research has gathered, but in the way it was compiled (a Google Doc with 367 edits by 200 collaberators) and the ways it’s presented (well thought out, well put together video). [...]

38. October 16, 2007

[...] The Digital Ethnograpy crew at Kansas State university who previously produced the extremely popular Machine is Us/ing Us video (that I often use in my presentations to help explain the evolution of the Web..) have put a couple of new videos out both of which are extremely interesting (and as ever skillfully produced) [...]

39. October 17, 2007

[...] Source  [...]

40. October 17, 2007

[...] If you like this then you need to check out his other stuff… I think it’s even better… The Machine is Us/ing Us Posted by prof_chuck Filed in Uncategorized [...]

41. October 18, 2007

[...] Michael Wesch, a professor at Kansas State University is someone who keeps whacking my head in a totally thought-provoking way. First there was The Machine is Us/ing Us. Then Information R/evolution and now, A Vision of Students Today. [...]

42. October 19, 2007

[...] Ethnography. No Comments Leave a Commenttrackback addressThere was an error with your comment, please try again. name (requerido)email (will not bepublished) (requerido)url [...]

43. October 22, 2007

[...] KSU Digital Ethnography October 22, 2007 Filed under: Uncategorized — ellenh @ 12:51 pm Michael Wesch, a professor of anthropology at Kansas State has produced another thought-provoking look at the state of information in the Web 2.0 world. His previous videos are Information R/evolution and The Machine is Us/ing Us. [...]

44. October 29, 2007

[...] This meta-useless (though undeniably awesome) shit was brought to you by Web 2.0. [...]

45. October 31, 2007

[...] Los dos primeros vídeos pertenecen a Michael Wesch del grupo de Etnografía Digital de Kansas State University. Este grupo de estudiantes de Antropología Cultural, dirigidos por el Dr. Wesch, se ha dedicado a explorar las relaciones entre la tecnología digital y la interacción humana (Etnografía de la Web). El primer vídeo “The machine is us/ing us” (“La máquina somos nosotros / nos utiliza”), ya un clásico en la red, es una acabada síntesis de la evolución de la Web y su impronta social. Desde el texto al hipertexto, la web, el paso del HTML al XML, los buscadores, los blogs, los wikis,…hasta la Web social o Web 2.0, cuya característica medular es la conexión entre personas. [...]

46. November 5, 2007

[...] Thanks to Tina Steele from Tri-County Technology Center in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, for taking and posting some photos from this morning’s ODLA keynote! The auditorium here at OSU-Tulsa was great for the presentation I thought– HUGE screen and really good speakers for the videos I shared. Most important, the audience was very receptive and we had good participation following Dr. Michael Wesch’s video, “The Web Is Us/ing Us.” [...]

47. November 19, 2007

[...] Web 2.0 — all you need to know in a refreshingly optimistic 4 1/2 minute video What the heck is web 2.0, and why are so many people running on about it?  Simply put, all the term refers to is what many of the so-called digerati believe will be the imminent future of the internet.  Though the conception inevitably has its detractors, for most it is a very positive conception of collaborative tools and community-based learning/understanding.  If you would like more history and detail, check the Wikipedia listing (or a general search for that matter), or, if you have the 4:33 it takes to watch it, you’ll find a wonderfully iconographic explanation of it in the attached YouTube video.  I showed this to most of the junior high students last year, and it sparked some particularly insightful discussions.  Between the first version and this newer ‘final’ version, it was now been seen well over 3 million times. Finally, this piece was put together by Professor Mike Wesch, who is a Digital Ethnographer at Kansas State University.  If you liked this video and want to see what else his department is up to, click here for his blog. [...]

48. November 23, 2007

[...] Originated: Digital Ethnography @ Kansas State University posted by mattsonj at 3:26 pm   [...]

49. January 9, 2008

[...] The Machine Is Us/ing Us (info, YouTube) [...]

50. February 17, 2008

[...] first introduction to Michael Wesch was through a video posted on YouTube entitled “The Machine is Us/ing Us.” I wasn’t the only person introduced to him that day. What started as a video discussing digital [...]

51. February 22, 2008

[...] video was crafted by Kansas State University professor Michael Wesch as part of the “Digital Ethnography” project. It excellently get beneath the white noise of Web 2.0 to provide a easily digestible nugget of [...]

52. February 24, 2008

[...] dell’evoluzione del web. Una sottotitolazione in italiano la trovate qui e a questo link è possibile scaricare il video nei formati .wmv e .mov ad alta definizione. Qui, infine, la [...]

53. March 6, 2008

[...] video i found last year that playfully tries to explain how the web is evolving, which I think was originally created by students at Kansas University of all places.  Its really got a good grip on how hypertext is different from regular text [...]

54. March 10, 2008

[...] to large audiences at major conferences on 6 continents within just one month of its creation. The Machine is Us/ing Us Final Version March 10th, 2008 / 0 Comments / [...]

55. March 30, 2008

[...] Prof Wesch is known for these types of videos and in my opinion he first broke out with his video The Machine is Us/ing Us that dealt with the evolving technology and how the web changes the way people interact. The latest [...]

56. April 25, 2008

[...] The Machine is Us/ing Us Final Version on YouTube [...]

57. October 17, 2011

[...] to launch Kansas State’s Digital Ethnography Working Group became a YouTube sensation. “The Machine is Us/ing Us” was released to the video publishing site Jan. 31 of that year. Within a month, the little [...]

58. January 14, 2012

[...] in recent computing history, much of which is relevant for teaching. As fellow anthro Mike Wesch has said: We’ll  need to rethink a few [...]

59. January 29, 2012

[...] to make such a popular video that the blogosphere would quickly take by storm.  In fact Wesch originally created the video for his Digital Ethnography class and sent it only to his colleagues to gather feedback. [...]